Young Critics Workshop 2015
12 > 20 oktober 2015
Film Fest Gent
Young Critics 2015 (left to right: Irina Trocan, Tobias Burms, Nick Pinkerton [mentor], Bart Versteirt [mentor], Maximilien Luc Proctor, Sam De Wilde [mentor], Nana Van de Poel, Anuj Malhotra, Ruben Demasure [mentor]) © Bibi Euse
photogénie and Film Fest Gent proudly present the second Young Critics Workshop (October 12 – 20, 2015), open to aspiring film critics (aged 18-26) from Belgium and abroad, offering them the opportunity to cover the 42nd edition of this major international event (October 13 – 24), ranked among the top European film festivals by The Wall Street Journal and Variety.
Read moreRead less
The selected participants will be invited to cover the festival by writing both short reviews and an in-depth piece. They will also take part in Q&A sessions and press conferences. The participants will be guided by film critic Nick Pinkerton (Sight & Sound, Reverse Shot, …) and the Photogénie team.
The reviews and articles of the participants may be published on Photogénie and on the Festival’s website.
The working language is English.
Applicants must be fluent in English, both spoken and written. The Workshop is open to writers between the ages of 18 and 26, who haven’t made criticism their (main) profession (yet).
The Young Critics Workshop offers participants:
- accommodation and breakfast in the historic city of Ghent, October 12 – 20
- lunch catered by the festival
- a full accreditation for the festival
- the chance to review films and events at the festival, under the guidance of an experienced critic
Participants will be responsible for their own travel arrangements, most evening meals and all other expenses. Participants will also be required to provide their own laptop computer.
Applications must be submitted before September 14, containing the following:
- A motivation letter (500 words or less)
- Curriculum Vitae
- 3 writing samples of articles or film reviews in English (If the original texts are not in English, provide translations as a proof of your English writing skills)
- A recent passport style photograph
The selected young critics will be informed by e-mail on September 22.
Send your applications and inquiries to:
Bart Versteirt, Sam De Wilde & Ruben Demasure